This contest is open to non-professional or semi-professional performers who live in and around the Tri-State area.
- Participation by performers in Tri-State Stars is free through all three rounds. We will be looking for performers who are entertaining, promising, and fulfill the general rules of judging, which include: natural ability, quality of performance, showmanship, and audience appeal.
- Professional entertainers are not eligible for this competition. For the purpose of this contest, a professional entertainer is:
(a) one who earns more than one-half of his or her normal living expenses, or
(b) one who is a union member, or
(c) one who has a professional agent or manager who is or will be paid a fee for securing employment in the entertainment field, or
(d) one who sings or otherwise performs on any recording released for commercial distribution through normal retail outlets. (This does not prohibit an entertainer from producing a recording for self-distribution, or performing on a recording of a school or church choir group for charitable fundraising purposes).
- Acts using knives, machetes, fire, etc., will not be accepted.
- No pyrotechnics, open flames, acts requiring glitter, or any other dangerous auditions are permitted.
- The following are prohibited and will not be considered: dangerous stunts; performances containing profane, obscene, or sexual content; acts with large animals or farm animals.
- No profanity or vulgarity in any vocal, dance, or other performance will be allowed.
- Round 1 auditions cannot be more than 6 minutes in length.
- Round 1 auditions will be done online through video submission only.
- Round 1 auditions will NOT be judged on the quality of the video submitted. They will be judged on the talent displayed. Submitted videos DO NOT have to be slick, highly edited promotional masterpieces. In fact, we would much rather see a straightforward, un-edited performance that shows both your personality and talent, even if it’s just you introducing yourself on camera and performing right in your living room or backyard. Simply record your act with a video camera or phone and submit it.
- Round 1 auditions should be submitted as a YouTube or Vimeo link. These will be submitted at www.TriStateStars.com.
- Round 1 auditions will open on January 1, 2019, and close on February 28, 2019. Included with each submission needs to be a quality photo of performer/act, act name, address, phone number, and e-mail.
- Only 20 acts will be chosen from Round 1 auditions to move to Round 2. Acts that are chosen will be announced on the following Facebook page: “Tri-State Stars - We’ve Got Talent.”
- The act that raises the most community support through fundraising (a minimum of $5,000 is required) will receive a “Golden Ticket” to Round 3. This will be tracked on Facebook from March 5-15, with the winner of the Golden Ticket announced March 19, 2019.
- Round 2 and 3 performances may not be longer than 6 minutes. You will be limited to 4 minutes for setup, totaling a maximum of 10 minutes per act.
- For Round 2 and Round 3 performances, all vocalists should use an mp3 or CD unless they provide their own accompanist and instrumentation. No accompanist will be provided. The same set-up will be in place for both Rounds 2 and 3.
- Only 9 acts will be chosen from Round 2 auditions to move to Round 3. Acts that are chosen will be announced on Facebook and press release on March 19, 2019.
- The First Place Winner(s) in Round 3 of the People’s Choice and Judges Choice cannot compete in future competitions, but they may be invited back as a “featured performer” in future shows.
- All contestants must use the audio equipment that is set up and provided. Equipment provided will be universal to use with performer’s provided instruments. A keyboard and drum kit will be provided and set up for use.
- All Round 3 finalists and featured performers will be required to attend a technical/dress rehearsal during the afternoon/evening of April 12, 2019, for technical support purposes or will be disqualified.
- Awards will be presented for Round 3 winners. Awards include 1st Place – People’s Choice (Text to Vote), 1st Place – Judges Choices, and 1st Place – Philanthropic Grand Champion.
- Only the winner of the 1st Place – People’s Choice will receive $1000.
- All acts (individuals) will be required to sign a photo release and a liability waiver at the auditions.
- There will be no filming or recording allowed behind the scenes or in the backstage area. Should any occur, the act guilty will be disqualified.
- Any use of alcohol or illegal substances backstage or on the premises of the event by any performer in the show is prohibited.
Attire must be respectable, tasteful, and age-appropriate. No nudity allowed.
- No alcohol, tobacco, or drug advertisements are to be shown on any clothing.
- Participants are encouraged to dress to impress with costumes or wardrobe appealing for filming.
Participants are required to be camera-ready (hair, makeup, and wardrobe). This applies for your audition and live performance.